One of Mead’s Varsity wrestlers, Emilio Chavez, is off to a good start this season

Emilio Chavez shares about experience of first meets of season

Emilio Chavez prepares to take on opponent

Diego Cordero and Mason Krominga

In the boys wrestling team’s first home meet of the season at Mead, sophomore Emilio Chavez stood out as he won his only match of the day. On December 8th, Chavez then went on to go win five out the five matches he had on Saturday at the Grandview Duals tournament.

While wrestling at a weight of 152 pounds, Chavez receives much praise from his fellow wrestlers on the team based off of his energy and uplifting spirit during practices and meets.

“He always has a good mentality and good emotion,” fellow sophomore Nathan Rowden says. “Emilio works hard in practice, which is usually pretty intense and mentally and physically demanding.”

Another sophomore wrestler, RJ Guerra says “He is always pushing us to work harder in practice and definitely deserves the title of a captain.”

Emilio happens to like the sport very much and has much experience with it. He feels his best talents are shown while doing this sport.

“Wrestling is my favorite sport,” Emilio says. Since starting wrestling at the age of eleven, he’s already been to Colorado’s state tournament. He remembers placing around tenth that day.

Not only is Emilio a Varsity Wrestler, but he also is a Varsity Soccer player. He even was named the captain of the men’s soccer team this past season.

Sophomore Chase Meining speaks on Emilio’s mentality as a captain saying, “Emilio always has a big smile on his face no matter what, and he is always enthusiastic. One thing about Emilio is he is always looking to help in any way possible.”

Being a two sport varsity athlete and a captain of both sports, Emilio’s off seasons during the summer are very hectic having wrestling workouts and soccer conditioning. During the summer Emilio will join a couple of camps for wrestling with the wrestling team at Mead.

Diego Cordero, Reporter

Diego is a Sophomore. He enjoys playing Soccer and the outdoors. He wants to learn how to write different informational pieces.

You can contact him...