Mead celebrates Isaac Crane during spirit week and assembly

Make-A-Wish spirit week ended with a school assembly on Friday, Jan. 21

DJ Gallegos

With the help of his father, Isaac Crane shoots baskets in the main gymnasium.

Mead High School recently took part in a spirit week for Isaac Crane’s Make-A-Wish. Isaac lives with a genetic disorder called Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). When he was born, doctors said that he probably wouldn’t live past a year. There was no cure at the time. Today, there is still ongoing research to find a cure.

Isaac is now seven years old and will turn eight in February — boy, did he prove those doctors wrong. He is currently a student at Mead Elementary School.

“He works really hard with his therapies, and it was a big deal when he got to start school… five years ago,” said Isaac’s mother, Jenna Crane.

Isaac is incredibly hard working through his day-to-day life of therapy, treatment, procedures, and school. One of his treatments is a lumbar puncture.

Outside of school, Isaac is a proud member of the Cub Scouts, which is one of his favorite activities.

“He really enjoys having just a set thing [where] he goes out and they learn and try new things,” said Jenna Crane. She said he loves spending time with his friends in Cub Scouts.

Isaac also really enjoys singing and playing video games on his Xbox and Nintendo Switch, especially Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Mario Party

Isaac is an incredibly smart and funny kid with a heart of gold.

For his Make-A-Wish, Isaac and his family are going to Disney World. They were originally supposed to travel there two years ago, but the rise of COVID-19 shut everything down. Whenever he sees the Disney castle at the beginning of a movie, Isaac immediately gets excited.

Through the funds raised during spirit week at MHS, Isaacs Make-A-Wish was able to come closer to being a reality. On Friday, Jan. 21, the spirit week ended with an assembly held in honor of Isaac where Mead teachers were pied in the face. Isaac even got to throw a pie in his dad’s face.

Mead Basketball athletes also shot some baskets for the Make-A-Wish trip.

Back in the classrooms, students cheered Isaac on as they watched his killer basketball moves through the assembly livestream.

To cap off the extraordinary day, the Mead High School student body cheered Isaac and his family on with a Maverick-style-walkout. Led by the MHS marching band, students lined the hall and clapped for Isaac as he walked down the hallway.