Mead set to offer new Peer Tutoring class spring 2023

Peer tutoring is officially an accredited class. If interested, a meeting will be Wednesday, Dec. 14 during Mav20 in H107.

Jamie Hedlun

Peer tutoring is not only a way of helping other students grow, but a way for the tutor to grow as well.

Starting next semester (spring of 2023), MHS will offer Peer Tutoring as a new class. 

Peer tutoring will take place in H110 and is worth 0.5 credit. That is 0.25 more than the credit a student aide earns.

Social studies teacher and the staff member leading this new initiative Ms. Heidi Hendrix-Johnson said that peer tutoring is a way of connecting upperclassmen to students who may be struggling in school, whether that’s due to academic challenges or other factors like trouble focusing.

Hendrix-Johnson said, “You don’t have to be the top of your class to be a peer tutor. You just have to be dedicated and willing to go to class everyday.”

Peer tutors will be matched with students based on talents and strengths. They may also offer support to those who are multilingual who may need some extra support as they continue to learn and practice academic English.

Juniors and seniors with off blocks are invited to help with peer tutoring. Peer tutoring can take place any block of the day, depending on how it is worked out with Hendrix-Johnson and the counseling department.

QR codes are posted throughout the school where students can fill out registration forms. Students can also contact Hendrix-Johnson for more information and are encouraged to do so at [email protected].