National Art Honors Society now being offered to MHS students

MHS introduces a new student-led organization to encourage artistic abilities within school
Pay
NAHS showcases their artwork in the trophy case outside of E wing

National Art Honor Society, more commonly referred to as NAHS, is a brand new student-led organization made to emphasize the importance of art in the school system. The group, led by President Makinzie Brommer (‘25) and Vice President Charlie Butheau (‘25), meets once to twice a month with supervision from Mead’s own art educators: Katelyn Lawely and Katie Kutz. When asked what the goals are for NAHS, Mrs. Kutz says she “[just wants to] get it off the ground.” 

With this being such a new opportunity for Mead students, there’s been a scramble to find ways to organize community service hours and schedule meetings. The hope is to create an advantage for students to gain scholarships and recognition for their artistic ability while facilitating a fun environment for them to do what they love. 

“I’m excited because there is a lot of freedom to meet people [with] similar interests and help the community.” Butheau said. NAHS is a great way for Mead’s artistic student body to find like minded peers they otherwise may not have connected with. 

The group will likely be very involved in years to come, offering services such as free face painting, chalk walks, volunteering in art classrooms, and much more. To participate, each student has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher each semester. 

“It’s going to kind of introduce that love and passion for art,” Ms. Lawley said. “And [that’s] something other high schools don’t have.” 

If you would like to join, send an email to Mrs. Lawley or talk in person with any of our art teachers here at Mead. They look forward to the future of this new and exciting student-led group!