It is important to let go of things that don’t benefit you (Opinion)

Change can be scary, but refusing to let go of things that cause pain can be more detrimental
Raul Mares
Learning to let go can contribute to personal growth.

It is very important that we, as humans, allow new and old things to come in and out of our lives to discover who we are as individuals.

Medical doctor and writer for Pyschology Today Dr. Abigail Brenner said“We all move through numerous experiences in the course of living. Each stage of our life brings new challenges and opportunities to master specific tasks, to gain new skills, to explore new facets of ourselves, and to learn about who we are in relation to others and to the world we live in.” 

The average lifespan for people is about 76 years. With that information, as we move through life day to day, we do not have time to waste holding onto things that hurt us nor provide beneficial outcomes. 

We have to learn how to let go of things that no longer serve us in the way we may have expected them or wanted them too. 

When you let go of things that don’t support your needs, you gain a stronger mindset that helps you to overcome challenges you will face throughout your lifetime. By allowing yourself to overcome these obstacles, you begin to regain your own personal strength to achieve what is needed.

An example of what should be removed from your life could be that toxic friendship that doesn’t add any value to your life anymore. Perhaps, it’s a sport that adds more weight to your shoulders than less, or a job that just isn’t the right fit for you.

When letting go of things you no longer need in your life, you are more likely to find peace. You regain emotional energy, and can begin “a journey of self-discovery, acceptance, healing, and transformation that ultimately leads to peace and personal growth,” according to psychologists.

The first step is recognizing and acknowledging what is no longer serving you. Once the specific problem that is harming you is found it is crucial to practice mindfulness for forgiveness and moving forward. 

Another principle is to be aware that you’re allowed to grieve through a loss of things you were wishing for a better outcome from. After letting go, it’s important to reconnect with yourself. 

Welcoming in new beginnings is a huge part in growth and development. Though it is universally recognized that the unknown is scary, letting go of familiarity is necessary for growth and new life. 

I believe that when you allow yourself to release things that don’t benefit you, you are giving yourself permission to accept change. Change is scary; however. it’s even more scary to stay in an environment where you’re not gaining anything anymore (if you ever were). 

Remember to focus on what benefits you and your needs.

Change is scary but staying in the same place with no benefit is equally as unfortunate.