UConn looks to reload their roster following departures from senior players this off season

Here are some good ideas as to who the University of Connecticut should pick up from the transfer portal to rejuvenate their starting five next season
Lars Messmer
The NCAA Transfer Portal logo featuring the Huskies logo in the word “Portal.”

After winning their second national championship in a row, UConn needs to reload their roster. They are likely to lose their entire starting lineup, so recruiting in the portal will be key. Only getting ranked 27th in their 2024 high school class has pushed the Huskies to seek new talent through the transfer portal. Ahmad Nowell out of Pennsylvania was a nice point guard pickup, but the lack of further depth and higher-ranked recruits wasn’t great for this class.

Out of high school, the 11th-ranked recruit in the 2024 class, Liam McNeely (according to ESPN 100), recently de-committed from Indiana. McNeely, a five-star small forward from Texas, could be a huge pickup for the Huskies. According to CBS Sports, he “listed the Huskies as one of the programs recruiting him.” The five-star forward could be a massive pickup and is one of the top small forwards in the class. He is currently taking a visit to UConn’s campus in Storrs, Connecticut. Several top Kentucky recruits have also de-committed and could be big pickups, but with John Calipari going to Arkansas, they’ll have some competition.

The transfer portal will be a key component of UConn’s resurgence. With Tristen Newton leaving for the NBA draft and graduating, a point guard target for the Huskies could be Aiden Mahaney out of St. Mary’s. A top transfer portal player, the former St. Mary’s star could add and hopefully replace the offense from Newton’s loss. He recently scheduled a visit with the Huskies, pointing to his interest with the two-time defending national champions.

Rylan Griffen out of Alabama would be another target for UConn, as his shooting and size could be great to supplement Spencer’s loss. His 39.2 percent three-point shooting is elite and would be a great boost for the Huskies. Tyrese Hunter could be a smaller guard to look out for. Being ranked as the 12th overall portal recruit, he is well liked around the country.

UConn will need to replace even more players with the loss of Stephon Castle, and a transfer from Dayton could help there. Dayton’s Koby Brea would be a great option, as his 49.8% three-point shooting led the country and his versatile scoring was great last year. UConn was recently listed among his top schools, so they have a great shot at picking him up.

Aside from the guards, the Huskies could go all in for this portal class. Being the current third overall center in the portal, Clifford Omoruyi could serve as a replacement for Donovan Clingan. His size, rebounding ability, and efficiency in the post would be key for UConn, as Clingan is entering the draft and will leave a huge void in the paint.

Jonas Aidoo, a Tennessee transfer, could be another big-time pick-up if Omoruyi doesn’t work out. His defense would be key in trying to replace Clingan.

A big mark in the portal was the commitment of Tarris Reed Jr., a 6’10” forward from Michigan. He averaged nine points and 7.2 rebounds per game last season, which will be big in supplementing the loss of Clingan. With the loss of Alex Karaban to the draft, a winger could be in line for a replacement here as well.

To recap, UConn’s transfer portal recruitment was massive going back-to-back. Cam Spencer rose to be one of the better players in the country, and Tristen Newton was a first-team All-American, and both came to Connecticut in the portal. With a weaker high school class and the loss of many key players, the portal will be monumental for the Huskies’ success next season. After gaining momentum with the commitment of Tarris Reed Jr., the Huskies need to continue pursuing more stars through the transfer portal.