Singing valentines sold to serenade your sweetheart and raise money for choir during lunch this week

Students offer their singing talents for singing valentines starting at $5

Mead’s Jazz Choir “Polyphonics” is just one choir participating in this year’s singing valentines.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, choir once again begins to sell the popular singing valentines in which students travel to various classes to serenade lucky recipients of singing valentines.

These valentines will be sold this week at lunch in the commons as a sweet Valentine’s Day treat and as a fundraiser for choir. 

A singing valentine performed by a small group of choir students and card costs $5. The singing valentine, card, and a candy or flower costs $7. A singing valentine, card, and both a candy and flower cost $8. 

The choirs enjoy doing these valentines because “It’s uplifting and positive vibes that go out when we do singing valentines,” according to Mrs. Rikelle Berry, the choir teacher.

This year, the choir has a wide variety of songs for buyers to choose from. Ms. Berry said, “There are a couple of groups that have mashed songs together for their valentines and it’s really cool.” 

Songs for sale this year include “Can I Have This Dance”, a mash-up of “Fly Me to the Moon” and “I Want it That Way”, a mash-up of “Perfect” and “Can’t Help Falling in Love”, “I Wanna Hold Your Hand”, and “Boyfriend” (by Big Time Rush, not Justin Bieber) with more songs to be revealed at the sale. 

Students began planning their singing valentines towards the end of January. Belle Voix and Harmonique, also known as the Chamber Singers and Women’s’ Ensemble, were given the choice to participate in the singing valentines and Polyphonics, the Jazz Choir,  were required to perform. “They’re going to New York this year and [singing valentines are] a huge fundraiser for them,” explained Berry.

Buying a singing valentine not only benefits the choir, but also you and that “special someone” or friends. Singing valentines are a sweet way to show someone just how much they mean to you.

Singing valentines will be sold all this week during lunch in the commons and performed on Thursday, February 13 during classes.