Students run FCA for first time since 2020

FCA meets weekly to spread the gospel and create a community

Angel Villalobos-Rivera

Student pastor Aaron Schroeder from Flatirons Church opens up the inaugural FCA meeting on Oct. 4.

FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) is being offered again at MHS during first and second lunches on Tuesdays. The club is student run, and despite having “athletes” in the title, all are welcome to attend. FCA meets every Tuesday in D134 first lunch and E121 second lunch.

FCA’s mission is “to lead every coach and athlete into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and His church”.

This club existed at MHS before the COVID-19 shutdown but hadn’t been reopened since the lockdown starting early 2020. 

“A lot of students had an urge to make a Christian club and since we knew FCA existed, we created it again,” said Aedan Kaplan (‘24).

The groups follows a schedule every meeting. “We start off with the announcements and announce sports games, as we are a Fellowship of Christian Athletes, so we try to support athletics as much as we can. We then have a student leader go in with a devotional or lesson plan. Once a month we have a guest speaker from a church. After talking amongst each other we pray out,” said Addison Babcock (‘24). 

The sponsors of FCA include football coach Jason Klatt, track coach Steve Parsons, and English teacher Jamie Hedlun. 

“FCA is the perfect way to get involved and be able to share your faith with others. I’m honored to sponsor a group where students take the lead and help build community,” said Ms. Jamie Hedlun. 

FCA first met in 1954 after basketball coach Don McClanen had a dream to start the organization. McClanen called it “God’s amazing, miraculous dream,” and worked to feature professional athletes declaring their faith to change the youth culture in America. 

Whether a student is an athlete or not, a Christian or not, all are welcome, according to the FCA leaders. 

“Just come — it’s fun, there’s snacks, anyone can come,” said Skylar Whalen (‘24).