Students can join Ms. Bortz in the library to recognize School Library Month

The month of April invites students to show their appreciation for school libraries

Angel Villalobos

Bortz enjoys historical fiction and memoirs as her “top two favorite genres.”

Ms. Nicole Bortz has been the librarian at Mead High School for seven years. She originally started out as the Media Clerk with Ms. York as the teacher librarian, and eventually moved into the position after York retired.

Working in the St. Vrain Valley School District was not new to Bortz — she was a computer lab instructor at Frederick Elementary and Centennial Elementary for a couple years prior to her job at Mead.

She loves the relationships that she is able to build as the school librarian. She said “[she] loves that [she] gets to be involved with every aspect of our school, students, staff, community, curriculum support, programs, projects, technology support, resource support, and help promote books and reading to students.”

Bortz shared that she could talk about books all day long, but what she enjoys most about the library is being able to “provide a little something for everyone.”

Elise Pinson (‘24), a teacher aid for Bortz last year, said “I love the library because it’s a nice and quiet place for me to get my homework done or just relax. Ms. Bortz is one of the nicest [staff] here.”

For the month of April, we are celebrating School Library Month. April 23-29 is National Library Week, and April 4 was National Librarian Day.

The district’s instructional librarian Helen Robbins said that this month is celebrated to work towards “[creating] a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment and collaborate with teachers and staff to align library programs and resources with the school’s academic goals and curriculum”.

Ms. Bortz encourages students to come to the library this month and for the rest of the year to promote a love for reading and learning.