There are unseen benefits of thrifting (Opinion)

The pros of thrift stores and second-hand clothing are helpful
Braeden Corliss
Thrifted clothes have unique character and style

It’s no secret that thrifting and getting second hand clothes has become trendy to the younger generation. It helps save money and some will score some unique clothing. Buying second hand clothes also protects our planet. Many don’t think about the planet when going shopping for new attire. Second hand stores are beneficial in many ways. 

The second hand clothing industry helps our planet in many ways, this is done by reselling items to keep them out of landfills. A clothing item that is purchased at a secondhand store helps reduce the need for production of more clothing. landfills tend to have around 92 million tons of clothes added each year. Thrifting is an eco-friendly way to reduce the amount of wasted clothes. 

Fast fashion is a constant struggle, stores fill their shelves with new clothes before the old clothes sell out. They go on flash sales to help get them out of the store. However, the clothes that don’t get sold tend to end up in the landfills once again.

Most people that go thrifting tend to go for deals. It’s no secret that thrifting can save you a lot of money. Whether you’re a high school student, college student or even an adult with an office job, thrifting helps save money for things most important such as, education, saving, paying bills, etc. Thrift stores also tend to do even more deals, walking around you’ll see signs with certain tags that are 50% or similar tags with different amounts off. This is a very beneficial way to save money for other necessities. 

Other than saving money, thrift stores hold a variety of different styles and unique items that fit every person and their sense of fashion. Many find this to be a creative way to show themselves through clothing. Most stores don’t hold a variety of different styles. To find what you’re looking for one would have to store hop just to find a style that fits them. Walking around thrift stores may seem intimidating at first but as you do so you’ll realize everyone is doing what you’re doing. There is no right way to thrift just get in there and look around!