Mead High student runs a small business called DesignsxDalila

Dalila Rubio (‘25) manages a ribbended flower bouquet business
One+of+the+many+bouqets+from+designsxdalila+
One of the many bouqets from designsxdalila

Dalila Rubio (‘25) owns a small business that began in Dec. 2022 called Designs by Dalila or designsxdalila. She has managed this for around nine months. The idea for the business came along when Rubio wanted to gift her best friend flowers for her birthday. Fond of the fact that the flowers didn’t have to be temporary, ribbened flowers came into mind.

While crafting the ribboned roses, she found that she enjoyed the process of creating the flowers and took into account that she was seeking a job. This ultimately led her to the idea of becoming an entrepreneur.

“I liked the process of it and I needed a job,” she said. “So I was, like, that’s perfect.” 

The bouquets she offers have various options for designs and can be customized with any color of roses and character design options. The bouquets range in different sizes including roses and sunflowers. Designs by Dalila contains a scope of choices and other products.

“My product is quality, I make sure [I give] what people are asking for,” Rubio said. “Whatever people are thinking of, I try to [create it and] bring their imagination to life.” 

She has a few fresh additions she would like to incorporate into her bouquets. With the changing of seasons and holidays like Halloween and Christmas on the way, she hopes to bring in aspects from them as add-ons for her bouquets. 

Due to managing her business alongside school, Rubio doesn’t have much time on her hands. She mentioned that her schoolwork load for the week factors into the amount of time she has to craft for her business. She keeps herself organized by using a planner to stay on track for everything. Most of the time, this results in her working on her flowers three days a week. 

Along the journey of her business, family and friends have shown and overwhelming amount of support

“A lot of my clients are my friends and family,” Rubio said. “My parents really supported me and my mom’s parents throughout the money expenses, so that really helped me start my business.” 

When asked how others can support her business, Rubio added, “I really appreciate anyone who orders, shares a post, likes, or shares something on Instagram — it really helps.”

Be sure to check out @designsxdalila on Instagram to help support a fellow Mead Maverick! 

View Comments (5)