Mead junior founded and currently manages Clock N’ Key Escape Rooms

Mead student Justin Fugate (’25) gets an early start in his career through entrepreneurship
Fugate+has+created+a+number+of+interactive+games+that+can+be+brought+to+homes+for+entertainment+including+the+one+featured+above.+
Justin Fugate
Fugate has created a number of interactive games that can be brought to homes for entertainment including the one featured above.

Mead High student Justin Fugate (‘25) started a business two years ago called Clock N’ key escapes. Originally, the idea of becoming an entrepreneur did not cross his mind until he made his first escape room for a Halloween party around the age of 14. Though in Fugates’s youth, he always had an interest in mysteries, adventures, and escape rooms. 

Clock N’ Key escapes business is a service where Fugate brings escape rooms to events for family and friends’ entertainment. This service contains a set-up that creates a scenery in any selected room of the house with different clues and a life sized puzzle. During the game, participants use teamwork and problem solving skills to complete within a given hour of time. The escape rooms are only provided on Friday nights and weekends.  

Currently Fugate has The Traveler and The Wonderful World of Harry Potter escape rooms available. Near Thanksgiving, he plans on releasing a new Egyptian themed escape room. Another addition for the future of his business is boxed and packaged escape room kits that will be sold as a product rather than a service. 

Fugate attempts to be involved in components that promote his business such as his opportunity of pitching his business in Denver. On Tuesday Sept. 19 for the business pitch, the top five best representations of youth entrepreneurship in Colorado were selected. Each representative presented their business in front of four judges; then one youth entrepreneur was advanced to the finals. 

This led to a window of opportunity as Fugate was asked to speak on a podcast, and was then reached with many different connections to help him with his business.

“I got so much amazing feedback from the judges. meaningful connections it was really, truly amazing,” he said. 

Through this business venture, Fugate, has found a career he is passionate and interested about. He has also learned many valuable skills along the journey.

“One thing that business has taught me is to be responsible with my finances, how to track my finances, [and] how to use my money responsibly,” Fugate said. 

When asked what message he would like to share he said the following: “If there’s something that makes you happy or something you are passionate about, chase it. If you have a dream, go for it because a dream isn’t going to chase you back.”