Teacher Feature: Ms. Blackmer

Mead welcomes new AP Stats and Algebra teacher to the math department
Ms.+Blackmer+smiles+in+the+G+wing+hallway.+
Raul Mares
Ms. Blackmer smiles in the G wing hallway.

Ms. Blackmer is one of the newest additions to the Mead High school teacher team.

This is her her sixth year teaching, but her first year at Mead. She teaches AP stats, Honors Algebra II, and Algebra I. 

Ms. Blackmer earned her undergraduate degree in math and statistics at Colorado Mesa University. She also has her master’s degree in education. Ms. Blacker says that she has always wanted to be a teacher.

She has also worked as a college academic advisor: that’s when she realized she loved teaching and the relationships she had developed with students.

Prior to teaching at Mead she taught at Grand Junction High School for three and a half years and Skyline High School for a year and a half.

Ms. Blackmer enjoys teaching math. One of her favorite things is when she sees the curriculum click for struggling students working hard to understand it.

She also loves it when she sees graduated students want to say talk to her and say hi. 

“I feel like my relationship with students is really good, I try really hard to reach every kid and make them feel comfortable,” she said.

Ms. Blackmer is also married and has two golden retrievers and two cats. She said that she chose Mead because she heard how amazing the environment was and knew she had to come join to be a part of it.