Students highly recommend revived Speech and Debate class

The course includes lively discussions that help enhance crucial life skills
Raul Mares
Students enjoy presenting in congressional debates.

Mead High School has a full year course called Speech and Debate. It ran between 2016-2018 and recently returned in Aug. 2022.

This course teaches students to debate formally, practice speech etiquette, and compile academic research. Debates occur around once every other week, along with a monthly student congressional debate that extends over for several class periods.

There are four different types of debate styles within the curriculum, though the three most common styles in the class are Big Question, Public Forum, and Lincoln Douglas.

Big Question debate is open-ended and provides an opportunity to integrate moral and ethical topics into personal, social, and professional issues.

Public Forum is a debate which centers on current events and relies on logic and evidence to construct arguments. This style usually covers federal government and political debates.

Lastly, Lincoln Douglas is a type of one-on-one competitive debate which places a heavy emphasis on logic, ethical values, and philosophy.

When asked about what they enjoyed most, students enrolled in the class shared similar sentiments.

“I like learning new topics and knowing what’s going on around me,” said Sam Horner (‘26).

Kaden Karel (‘24) said, “I think it’s really fun to hear everyone’s different perspectives.”

Class participants hold different views on topics surrounding debates, though each person has the opportunity to learn and open their minds to varying topics. During debates, students are prepared with speeches and additional research based on their topic.

Riley Darner (‘26) said, “My favorite part is getting to prove people wrong.”

Isaac Sword (‘26) also said he enjoys proving his point against other arguments in speech and debate.

When asked about why they joined the class, many said that it helped with their confidence, public speaking, and future career opportunities.

Sword added, “I want to be a lawyer when I’m older, so I thought it’d be good to have research. Due to this class, I’m a much more confident speaker.”

Speech and Debate is suitable for any skill level. Students in the course described the class as an inclusive environment and the perfect place for building up public speaking skills.

To those interested in enrolling in this class, there is an opportunity for joining next year during registration season in early spring.

However, students can join the Speech and Debate team at any time. Speech and Debate coach Mr. Campbell coaches the team; they meet after school on Tuesdays in E124.