Expired makeup can have negative effects on skincare

While some people admit to using expired makeup, there are consequences
Rebekah Dennis
Makeup is used widely and regularly.

The use of expired makeup isn’t uncommon, but there are disadvantages, and caution must occur for each unique product. Every brand and type of makeup has different shelf lives and expiration dates.

Dermatologists recommend not using expired products, mainly because of the product’s appearance when applied. As well as the functional application when first purchased.

Problems may also arise with expired makeup products, such as foundation, containing SPF (sun protection factor). When they expire, there is no guarantee that the SPF within the product will continue to work and protect you from the sun. This can become an issue as companies are incapable of interfering with the continuous use of expired makeup. It is important to understand the risks of using expired products.

Another example is expired mascara. The dust particles can get into your eyes, causing issues with the eye barrier and defeating the purpose of eyelashes. Again, it is recommended to buy new mascara when it expires to ensure that you are protecting and taking care of your eyes.

A sensible decision is to research when the products expire and the possible effects after the expiration date. Most products follow a system where the labels have a number next to an “M.” For example, a product could say “3M,” meaning that once opened, it will last well for three months.

Understanding and being careful when using expired products is critical to keeping yourself from getting rashes or any unwanted dangers that can come directly from using expired makeup.