Mead football is filled with character on and off the field

Mead football team had both great leadership and phenomenal connections to get them through the 2023-2024 season
Tyler Reburn
Coach Klatt watches on as the Mavs take the field.

With a tough start and even tougher opponents, the Mavs were in a bad spot at the beginning of the season with a start of 1-4. It wasn’t easy, but through dedication and perseverance, the Mavs rebounded to the playoffs. 

In an interview with Defensive Coordinator Jeramie Palko, he said, “You know, when you kind of get beat up a little bit and pushed around, [you] kind of realize what needs to be done. Those guys did an amazing job of coming together and…coming up with a common goal to be successful.”

That connection was huge, as the Mavs started a great run at the six week mark. Following week six, the Mavs started a three game win streak. This string of wins shows that coming together as a team is one of the most important things to do in sports.

“I think it took us probably six weeks into this season to finally become a team and come together all for the same common goal,” said Palko.

A phrase Palko iterates is that “good teams, coaches lead. Great teams, players lead”, and leaders like Joshua Gonsalves (‘26), a linebacker, exemplify that by putting his leadership into action and willing his defense to come around him to succeed. 

When asked about his role, he said, “it mainly evolved [over the season] because my teammates needed another leader to…lead by example.”

Gonsalves (’26) said that the team bonded and developed trust with one another.

Coach Klatt also mentioned how motivated Gonsalves (’26) has been.

“Josh is [a] fierce, driven, motivated young individual. Other guys on the team see that and they see his high motor, his high intensity, his love for the game, his passion for the game, [and they follow that example].”

As the head of the program and the team leader, Coach Klatt leads character talks once a week.

Character matters both on and off the field.

Klatt said, “Less than two percent of the players in that room are going to move on to play college football. But 100 percent of them are going to move on and graduate school, and they’re going to move into life. …For us, success is when those guys move on and do great things in the world. That’s success for our programs.” 

Not all players will move on to be college football players and beyond, but Klatt’s willingness and yearning to connect with the young men is seen in how they act both on and off the field. This leadership is seen not only in Gonsalves (‘26), but also in players like Carter Woods (‘26), Grant Gordon(‘25), and Zac Gomez (‘24).

Throughout the season, the Mavs connection with one another and youth leadership brought them together. Players refused to give up despite a tough season, and rebounded for a playoff appearance. Football is about more than just skills on the field, and Mead does a great job at instilling character into every athlete.