The Buffalo Bills are in a slump, but can they make a comeback run?

Is this just an off year for the team, or is this the end of the Bills’ dominant era?
The Buffalo Bills logo.
Kannon Garcia
The Buffalo Bills’ logo.

For the last three years, the Buffalo Bills have been dominant in the NFL and a staple playoff team in the AFC. Something changed this year; however, leaving the entire NFL community confused about their sudden downfall.

The Bills are usually a top seed in the AFC. In the last three seasons, they have acquired impressive records of 13-3 (2022-23), 11-6 (2021-22), and 13-3 (2020-21). This year has changed dramatically, as they are 7-6 through the first 14 weeks of the season. Fortunately, their bye week was last week, week 13, and they seemed to make enough adjustments to beat Kansas City (8-5). As of now, their playoff chances are at 39%, but their remaining schedule ranks as the third hardest in the NFL. The road to the playoffs will be tough for them. 

If this season ends with another disappointing outcome, they may need to make some coaching changes. They’ve had the talent throughout the last couple of seasons but seem to get out-coached in the big games. They have made a new change at offensive coordinator, firing Ken Dorsey and having the quarterbacks coach Joe Brady step in to fill that OC role. The team is 2-1 with Joe Brady, and they certainly have a bright outlook on the rest of the season with the way things have gone for them these past couple of weeks. 

If the Bills make the playoffs, they will most likely be a number 6 or number 7 seed. Six teams, including the Bills, are all tied with a 7-6 record. As long as they all stick together and work to get better each week, they have a good chance to make the playoffs and make a good run no matter what seed they are. Things are looking up for the team after their latest Chiefs win in Arrowhead, but they will likely need to win out the remainder of their schedule to make the playoffs. 

The Bills’ remaining schedule is:

-vs. Dallas Cowboys (10-3)

-at Los Angeles Chargers (5-8)

-vs. New England Patriots (3-10)

-at Miami Dolphins (9-3)