Mead Choir students are selected to sing at a state level

Mead High choir students are accepted into All State Choir, taking them to Denver later this year
Unsplash—Marius Masalar
Colorado All State choir welcomes over 300 students to perform.

During the school year, choir members around Colorado can audition for an elite group of choirs known as the All State Choir or Classical All State. This choir is known as one of the hardest group choirs to get into as the grading processes and choral pieces are more difficult than any other advanced choir in our state.

Students auditioning for All State must be musically advanced to perform all the advanced musical skills required and must sing a solo song they have prepared beforehand in front of judges. Afterward, they wait around three to four weeks to hear the final scoring for their audition.

If they earn enough points, they get an opening in either TrebleMixed, or Tenor-Bass Colorado All State Choir. Students will learn six pieces for their specific voice group and will get to rehearse and perform in Denver later with the rest of the members. Each choir has around 300 students who are all highly trained and prepared to sing at any given time.

On the off chance that a student does not learn their music, they risk being asked to leave.

Michael Reeder (’24) said, “You already have to know your music, or you get sent home.”

Though being sent home is a rare event, the directors there only want the best, and they want you to be a part of what you tried so hard to get into.

Bella Wright (’24) said, “Once you’re in, if you get in and don’t know your music, then they are like, ‘Okay try this song out.’ They want you to get in.”

Even though the music can be difficult, these students share that they are more than willing to put in many extra hours of work to learn and perfect their parts for the choir.

Taylor Morris (25’) shared that she is feeling ecstatic and proud to be able to even be accepted into such a rich community and doing what so many people count on to face themselves.

“I am so so excited. My sister and multiple other people in the choir could never get this experience because they simply couldn’t face up to the rigorous process.” She said, “But the fact that I got in on my junior year is like the craziest thing ever, and I can’t believe I was able to do that.”

Many of our juniors and seniors have made it into this year’s All State Choir.

Congratulations to Eris Price (25’), David Reeder (25’) Taylor Morris (25’), Michael Reeder (24’), Katie Young (24’), Elisha Landis (24’), Bella Wright (24’), Lauren Fern (24’), and Bierte Peterson (24’).

View Comments (1)