I had a very impactful experience at Thescon (Commentary)

A group of Mead High School theater students and I had the opportunity to attend this year’s Thescon event
Rebekah Dennis
Thescon is hosted at the Colorado Convention Center.

Thescon is an annual event that Mead High School theater students are invited to attend. This event is hosted at the Colorado Convention Center in downtown Denver, and took place on Dec. 7-9 this year. The event contains sessions, and students may choose nine. Each session informs students on all aspects of theater. 

This year I had the chance to attend Thescon, and I enjoyed every second of it. To make the most of my experience there, I took a variety of sessions, including acting, makeup, costuming, dancing, anxiety management, playwriting, film directing, and improv tips. Each session was unique and left me with lots of take-aways. 

On Thursday and Friday, evening group events were hosted, and everyone attending Thescon was invited to come for different announcements as well as a school performance each night. The first night Prairie View High School performed Noises Off, and the second night Vista Ridge High School performed Mean Girls. Both shows were incredibly good and were so fun to be able to watch with a room full of people who collectively love theater. 

Every single person that I had the opportunity to interact with was so kind, it was nice to meet so many people from schools all over the state, as I would likely not get this opportunity elsewhere. 

Each session I had the opportunity to attend, I learned a lot that I will be able to take with me. For instance, I grew my acting skills in the acting session. The instructor discussed the topic of energy and how to work with other actors when acting. This was just the surface of what I was able to learn.

Alongside all this, students had the opportunity to perform individual events or “IE”, in which they perform in a small room with judges and get feedback on their skills. For one of my sessions, I went and saw a handful of people perform their IEs. It was incredible to be able to see all the amazing things students can do and how talented my peers are. 

Overall, I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to go to Thescon this year and I am hoping to have the same opportunity next year.

View Comments (1)