I grew up with my mom as my best friend (Commentary)

Friendship is when someone loves you no matter what, and that’s who my mom is
A+mother+and+her+daughter.+
Aspen Bingham
A mother and her daughter.

Most people think of their best friend as someone who is  A, unrelated to them or B, someone close to their age range, but I have always seen it differently.

To me, a friend is someone who unconditionally loves you no matter what, someone who supports you through thick and thin, and someone with whom you make memories.

This person in my life happens to be my mom, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Despite the fact that she has an obligation to me simply because I’m her daughter, there has always been a special bond between my mom and me.

Don’t get me wrong: my mom still parents me and provides rules and regulations to keep me in check and safe. My mom’s parenting has allowed me to build a distinct type of trust with her, meaning she trusts that I will follow her rules while still giving me the opportunity to have independence and learn from my mistakes.

I think that’s part of the reason our relationship stays so strong—there is an understanding that even though I’m young and will make mistakes, I know and trust my mom enough to come to her when I do make a mistake.

Going back to my definition of a friend, my mom has always supported me in areas where it feels like no one else has or understands. She supports every aspect of my life and always makes me feel supported, even when it comes to my mental health.

My mom has always made the most amazing memories with me. It seems like we make memories out of most things we do, even the “boring” ones. My mom never fails to make me laugh, and I cherish every second we spend together. Some of my favorite memories with my mom are from going to the store together and singing through the isles.

While this isn’t always the case between mothers and daughters, I am so grateful that I’m able to call my mom my best friend.