Recurring trend brings bows back to modern fashion

This particular expression of femininity is embraced through bow-wearing
Ribboned+bows+have+come+a+long+way+in+fashion.+
Kannon Garcia
Ribboned bows have come a long way in fashion.

Bows, a favorited accessory amongst girls, have been reintroduced in current fashion. There has been a rise and fall with the popularity of bows, but the trend always seems to return. 

The use of ribbons and bows stretches thousands of years as a custom for ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Sumerians, and Aztecs. However, recently, the trend has spiked again. 

Each time bows return, the meaning and uses are different. 

In the early 2000’s,  the tween store Justice was a best friend to young girls and had bows everywhere. However, it met its decline when all remaining Justice stores were to be closed permanently by the end of 2020. However, this did not hinder anybody from bringing them back.

Incorporating bows and ribbons in fashion has recently returned with a new intent: today, the accessory represents girlhood and femininity. Bows are a staple in “Coquette Core”, a fashion style that embraces pink and femininity. 

Bows are traditionally seen as hair adornments, but have recently sparked viral trends on social media.Bows are seemingly everywhere, and have adapted to an expanded scope of features, including fashion trendsTikTok trendsnails, and accessories, as an outlet for women to express their feminine side. 

Most girls wearing bows admire the cute trend. 

Bows are a dainty and elegant touch to piece an outfit together that can help girls feel confident in their energy. Their cute touch is taking over trends, and from the looks of it, is here to stay. 

View Comments (1)