School clubs are a great way to get involved

It can feel difficult trying to get yourself out there in high school, but joining groups with like minded people can help
Skylar Whalen
Mav Advice is a student advice column that answers advice questions with researched answers. Questions can be asked through the google form.

Mav Newspaper,

How can I make myself more known? I like being involved, but I don’t know where to start.

—Jess B

There are so many great ways to be more involved. If you want to be a part of a community, clubs are a great way to surround yourself with like-minded people. There is a spreadsheet full of possible clubs that you can think about joining. 

For more information on how the school district operates around student clubs and activities, check out the Mead High School website and click on “co-curricular activities.” There are even ways for students to start new clubs that interest them.

When trying to become more involved, it is important to figure out what you may be interested in exploring. Take a couple minutes to make a list of your hobbies and other activities you want to try or enjoy doing.

If it is a struggle to make the list, ask yourself some questions: do I like to help others, do I enjoy music or art, do I have fun with STEM, am I creative, do I like to read, etc.? 

If you’re interested in being more involved and known by your peers, school events are also a great way to build a sense of community. Sporting events often have a large turnout of students, as do school dances and parades.

The most important thing to remember about making yourself known and being more involved is to be yourself. I know that sounds cliché, but after 17 and a half years of experience, I know that ultimately, if you present yourself as who you truly are, the right people will appreciate your authenticity and individuality. 

Don’t put too much stress on yourself to achieve this goal. If you take the first step to join something new and are open to learning, the results may surprise you.

For any questions you want to see answered on Mav Advice, fill out this simple form!