Germ Theory maintains their originality through two new performances (Commentary)

The punk band that has welcomed many into the local punk scene
Victoria Solis
Germ Theory on stage live at 830 North.

Germ Theory, a local punk band from Longmont, Colorado, has a plethora of accomplishments.

The three-piece punk act consists of bassist and vocalist Will Leyden, guitarist Alex Casano, and drummer Jacob Morales (‘26).

While they’ve had around 10 shows now, the past two, in my opinion, were some of their best so far.

Germ Theory began their back-to-back shows on Feb. 15 at 830 North, a live music venue and bowling alley. Sour Drought opened, followed by Kapei.

The next night started with Euphoria, then Kapei once again.

Germ Theory kept the energy high the entire time with their interactions with the crowd. The fans, including myself, were constantly stage diving and moshing throughout the entire set, which is no different from their other shows.

Ileah Amsinger, newly introduced into the local punk scene, stated that she thinks “[Germ Theory] really knows how to work a crowd” and rated the 830 show an “11 out of 10.” Amsinger recommends going to one of their shows and would “100 percent go to another Germ Theory concert.”

While it was heavily snowing the next day, around 40 people still came to their show in the tiny backroom of Trident Cafe in Boulder. I was sliding around a little bit while driving there, yet it was totally worth the danger.

Euphoria started the night off excellently, getting the army of fans pumped. People were skanking, moshing, falling, and having the time of their lives.

Despite multiple sound and tech issues, the three bands pushed through and put on a great show.

Half of Morales’ drumset fell apart midway through their set but continued playing like nothing had happened, making the song sound just as good, if not better than before.

Germ Theory holds a special place in my heart. I have some of the most fun at their concerts, even in comparison with popular punk bands I’ve seen, like NOFX. I love coming home after a show and inspecting myself for all of the awesome bruises I got in their mosh pits.

Germ Theory has welcomed and introduced many to the growing local punk scene and continues to do so through their cathartic sound.