The 8th annual Mav Film Fest will be on April 24th

Originally created to help students showcase their creativity, the Film Fest also fosters community and brings students together
All students are invited to attend and consider submitting to Mead’s 2024 Film Fest.

The 8th annual Film Fest is on Wednesday April 2​​4th from 6:30 to 8:30pm in the Mead High School auditorium. 

The Mav Film Fest was created in order to give creative students the chance to showcase their cinematic skills, according to Film Fest Sponsors Mr. Parsons and Ms. Lammey. 

Students and staff members alike enjoy the Film Fest. It’s because of this enjoyment and love for movies that the Film Fest started 8 years ago. 

“A lot of fun and hard work has gone into making the short films, so [we] really love having the chance to put them on a big screen for everybody to enjoy,” said Mr. Parsons. 

Mrs. Lammey added that she loves the variety of films submitted. 

“My favorite thing is seeing all the different approaches students take. We see everything from horror stories to animation,” she said. 

Once all films have been shown, students will be able to vote for their favorite pieces. The audience will go through the selection of films and vote for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. 

The winning filmmakers will receive a custom trophy, a Film Fest poster, and bragging rights. There will also be a judge’s juice award offered by staff members. 

The entry fee for the film fest is $10 per group, which includes multiple video submissions and access to the VIP lounge for snacks and drinks. 

In order for students’ short films to be eligible to win, they must follow the entry requirements which include the following: a 2-10 minute video with appropriate titles and credit to any outside sources used, such as music or books. 

Mr. Parsons said, regarding time, “We’re flexible if the film is good.” 

Student filmmakers are asked to make their videos appropriate and not include materials such as alcohol, tobacco, violence, or profanity. 

The Film Fest informational flier says, “If it’s inappropriate for school, it’s probably inappropriate for Film Fest.” 

Cody Smith (‘24) said his film is a comedy based on teenagers being pulled over and the conflict it creates between characters. The idea was originally Skylar Whalen’s (‘24) – Smith ended up wanting to make the film because of how well the characters were written. 

“I hope people find it very funny,” Smith (‘24) said. 

Jacob Morales (‘26) is also participating in Film Fest. He has been preparing his video based off of footage and interviews from his spring break trip to DisneyLand with the marching band. 

“I love getting to see how others structure and stick together stories.” Morales (‘26) said. He is also looking forward to what others have to say about his film. 

The Film Fest is an opportunity to see and enjoy films while connecting with the school and getting to know other students – it also helps MHS staff members get to know their students better through their films. 

All Film Fest video submissions must be submitted to Ms. Lammey or Mr. Parsons in a file readable format no later than April 24th, according go the Film Fest Call for Entries released to the school.