Local law enforcement cautions students against playing ‘Senior Assassin’

In an email sent to parents on March 28, local police departments warn families about dangers involving this popular senior game
Boston Hatrick
Videos of assassinations are posted on Instagram.

Beginning March 25, seniors at Mead High School initiated this year’s game of “Senior Assassin,” defined in an email sent to parents from local law enforcement as, “a game involving students drawing names and strategizing how to film themselves using squirt guns and other weapon facsimiles to eliminate competitors from the game.” 

An Instagram account created and ran by Mead students posts the ‘assassinations’ and keeps seniors updated on rules and news regarding the game. Seniors who want to play the game are expected to “buy in” and compile money into a pot that the winner will end up receiving.

Rules include not being allowed to enter houses and eliminate opponents before 9 a.m. and after 7 p.m., absolutely no ‘assassinations’ on school grounds or at school events, the targets’ faces must be in the video, no eliminations in a moving car, must have goggles on eyes, cannot eliminate someone while working during shift, and more. If students don’t get the elimination on video — it doesn’t count.

Local police departments acknowledge the game appears peaceful, but the nature of the game creates safety concerns. In the email, they said “[The game] is evidenced by incidents in other places throughout the United States and could create a perceived threat in our communities.”

Citing past events in modern history, law enforcement said they recognize the heightened awareness related to shootings, including school shootings, in public places. 

Parents were asked to remind their students to stay safe and stay smart. Engaging in activities that jeopardize their safety as well as the safety of others is to be avoided to ensure the welfare of the community. 

Mead High Principal Dr. Brian Young said, “I think it was smart that the law enforcement came together.”

He wants parents and students to be aware of the risks of playing, noting that there is no punishment for students who do play, until the law is broken. Dr. Young appreciates law enforcement sending out the email, as an email sent from Mead High School or SVVSD superintendent could make the game look like a school-affiliated event, which it is not.