‘It’s Called: Freefall’ song by rock band Rainbow Kitten Surprise tells a beautiful story through complex lyrics

Rainbow Kitten Surprise has recently gained popularity, making their 2018 song “It’s Called: Freefall” worth your listen
Rainbow+Kitten+Surprise+is+an+alternative+rock+indie+band+and+was+formed+in+2013.++
Rainbow Kitten Surprise is an alternative rock indie band and was formed in 2013.

The song “It’s Called: Freefall” was released in 2018 on the album “How to: Friend, Love, Freefall,” which is now gaining the popularity and attention the song deserves.

The song is two minutes and 35 seconds long. Each second is a genuine masterpiece. I’ve listened to it on repeat, and each time the lyrics feel like they radiate through my soul.

The meaning of this song is challenging to single out — it involves numerous interpretations.

The backstory is that the speaker of the song — perhaps the songwriter themselves — wants to become friends with the devil after suffering severe loss and dealing with hardship, particularly with their friends. The speaker tries to “break the ice” by “asking the Devil” about his vices, assuming that he likes rock music, substances, and gambling. Surprisingly, though, the Devil likes sunsets (beautiful moments), holidays (times of celebration with family), and Sundays (a day when people traditionally go to church).

I’ve enjoyed listening to this song on repeat because the lyrics are complex which elevate its genius. Phrases like, “[I] thought to give friends what I thought that they wanted… Never had they needed a good friend as I’ve been,” which is just complete artwork on its own, explaining the intricacies of how love in friendship works.

The song moves on to talk about how harmful negative friendships can be to your mental health. After this theme and the entirety of the song, there is a repetitive statement that represents letting go and living life as the song concludes: “You could let it all go / You could let it all go / It’s called free fall / It’s called free fall.”

My overall favorite lyric of this song is, “Keep about your wits, man, keep about your wits / Know yourself and who you came in with.”

This part of the song expresses the power of knowing who you are and who you surround yourself with. This entire song truly is such a lyrical masterpiece.

I rate this song about a 12/10 and could listen to it every day.

View Comments (1)