Beauty is pain—literally

Makeup has a history of toxin-laden chemicals
Unsplash—Elemental 5 Digital
Make-up by Millie Bobbi Brown is displayed on a counter.

Makeup has been an ever-changing process of trial and error. The makeup we have today is safe for us to use, but, in the past, makeup would contain toxic poisons that lead to complications.

Arsenic is a harsh poison that causes skin and bladder cancer. However, this harsh poison was found in makeup and beauty products in the 1800’s. In 1902 Dr Cambell’s ‘safe’ arsenic complexion wafers were introduced to the market. They were wafers that would be ingested and would ‘fix’ impurities on your skin. It was supposed to clear and lighten your skin but instead it would poison them. It would be advertised as perfectly safe in which they weren’t. Ingesting arsenic is even worse than simply putting it on their skin.

Mercury was also a very toxic substance often found in makeup and cosmetics. Mercury can cause burns; it was often used in nail polish colors. Other times, it would be used in homemade floral scent moisturizers and creams that would include arsenic, mercury and even lead in the creams. Even though Mercury was a substance it was only just taken out of makeup in 1973. 

Recently, the FDA came out warning that anti-aging, acne treatment and skin lightening products often contain “mercurous chloride,” “calomel,” “mercuric,” or “mercurio”—which is just mercury. Since they can’t legally sell these products in America, they manufacture these products abroad and sell them to shops in America. Consumers are advised to take this as a warning to check your skin care products.

Lead poisoning was mainly a problem in the 18th century since it was found in almost every makeup product, paint, pipes, and batteries. Women in the 18th century wanted to have very pale and white skin. In order to achieve this, they used a very pale foundation containing, you guessed it: white lead. All of this eventually caused lead poisoning. Lead poisoning causes headaches, stomach cramps, joint pain, fatigue, and irritability. If introduced to mass amounts of lead, it leads to a coma and eventually death. Even though it was such a toxic chemical, 18th century women continued using lead based makeup like blush, powder, foundation, and mascara—beauty is pain.

Luckily, makeup has evolved and has less deadly chemicals and toxins. However, women before us weren’t as lucky and didn’t know what chemicals were harmful, so they simply would wear it not knowing what they were exposing themselves to, until it was too late.