Gypsy Rose Blanchard is released from prison after eight years

Blanchard spends her first day of freedom with her family and husband
Unsplash–Matthew Ansley

After serving eight years in prison, victim of Munchausen by proxy survivor, Gypsy Rose Blanchard, walks free.

Blanchard was arrested June 14, 2015 after persuading her online boyfriend to kill her mom. 

Blanchard grew up with her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, who convinced everyone that her daughter was severely ill when the truth was, Gypsy was healthy. This resulted in many unnecessary surgeries and resulted in her spending most of her young life confined to a wheelchair. 

At the young age at eight, Dee Dee claimed Gypsy was suffering from leukemia and muscular dystrophy. Though medical tests were contradicting what Dee Dee was claiming, Dee Dee would often switch medical professionals as questions would arise regarding gypsy’s health

The Blanchards received many awards from charities, including their very own pink house built by Habitat for humanity. 

Gypsy has said that her time in prison consisted of more freedom than Dee Dee ever gave her. While incarcerated, Blanchard said, “Because now, I’m allowed to live just like a normal woman.” 

In an exclusive interview with PEOPLE magazine that occurred just before gypsy’s release, Gypsy said, “I’m ready for freedom.” 

Gypsy was released from Chillicothe Correctional Center in Missouri on Dec. 28, 2023 around 3:30 am. She spent her first day of freedom shopping and spending time with her family and new husband.