Searching for the best thrift finds involve a few tactics

Pre-planning for thrifting trips helps get the most out of them
Rebekah Dennis
Thrifting offers cute clothes for cheaper prices.

Thrifting for clothes that match your style is no easy task, so knowing helpful ways to get around can help create a more enjoyable experience. After numerous thrifting trips, I believe I’ve discovered the best way to go about it. 

My first chunk of advice is to get an idea of what you are looking for. Look online or at people around you and see what styles pique your interest. My method is conjuring up quick Pinterest boards to help give me a general idea of what I want. It’s not a requirement to make up a fancy board, though make sure to have an idea of what you want from your thrifting trip. 

A vital part of any exciting thrifting trip is to have someone tag along with you to serve as a little hype man. They can help pick out clothes, give opinions, and boost confidence. Most of my best clothing finds came from trips where a friend tagged along. I often go thrifting with my sister because she knows my style very well and can help me decide if certain clothes are cute. 

Remember to additionally look through every single article of clothing on the racks in each section. It is time-consuming, but simply skimming through can help catch obscured clothes that would’ve gone unnoticed. I’ve found that when I look through each piece of clothing, I end up satisfied with what I buy because I know I’ve seen everything.

Don’t be afraid to look around sections you’d usually avoid. I enjoy baggy pants, but the women’s section usually doesn’t have what I’m looking for so I check the men’s instead, and most of the jeans I wear daily are from there. Other cute clothing pieces can be found in the kids’ section that fit like baby tees. There are so many possibilities for finding items in places that don’t immediately interest you, so keep an open mind. 

Fitting rooms are also helpful to check that you like how clothes fit. I tend to shy away from stores without them because I regret buying clothes that don’t fit how I anticipated. 

My final piece of advice is to check out different stores. With every store you visit, the more likely it is to find things you love. Set time aside during your shopping day to ensure you can use this advice and end up with clothes you enjoy.