A guide to the Boston Celtics 23-24 season

The team looks to build on playoff success and reach the pinnacle of NBA glory this season
Kannon Garcia
The team struggled last postseason, losing in the second round to the Miami Heat.

With the NBA preseason wrapping up, it’s time to look at some season predictions and a guide to this new season. Celtics fans have much to be excited about for this upcoming season, so let’s preview the team’s season. 

The headline of the team is the massive roster changes. Veteran Marcus Smart, the emotional leader and defensive anchor, left this offseason. With players like him gone, there were drastic changes to the highly successful core of the roster. 

The first major move, which happened at the extension deadline, was the acquisition of Kristaps Porzingus. In this trade, the Celtics sent away Marcus Smart to the Grizzlies, and Danilo Gallinari, Mike Muscula, and their 35th overall pick to the Wizards. In return, the Celtics got a 2023 first rounder, 2024 first, and a major piece in this trade: two-way power forward Kristaps Porzingus. The star averaged 23 points, eight rebounds, and almost three assists per game last season. According to ESPN, the star was the Wizard’s most important player, averaging 32.6 minutes per game.

Porzingus adds to the star-studded roster of All NBA selections Jaylen Brown and the team’s biggest star, Jayson Tatum. This, along with key role players like Derrick White and Payton Pritchard staying put, was a huge addition to the title aspirations of the team.

The team also re-signed Jaylen Brown to a contract extension of 304 million dollars over five years. While this was a debated piece, it was arguably a necessity that the team brought back the shooting guard. He was an all-NBA selection and scored 26 ppg for the C’s last year, helping them get to the second round of the playoffs. 

Of course, the bomb of the offseason was the Celtics acquisition of Jrue Holiday. In this unexpected move, the Celtics picked him up after a recent trade to the Blazers in the Dame Lillard trade. In the deal, they sent defensive piece Robert Williams, veteran point guard Malcolm Brogdon, and two firsts back to the Blazers. Although giving away Robert Williams may not have been the best option, the move benefited Boston greatly.  

With this considered, what will the team do this year? With Jayson Tatum reaching his prime, it’s likely he’ll be a top MVP candidate this year. Having earned two All-NBA first team selections in a row, the forward is poised to have another huge year. Jaylen Brown has high expectations from fans and from every team around the league, and Porzingus is expected to be a huge two-way player. 

The Celtics look to Jrue Holiday as an emotional leader for the team this year. His study defense and capability on offense make him a solid replacement for Marcus Smart. 

Young players such as draft pick Jordan Walsh, who showed out in the summer league, and Payton Pritchard, who has been going off this preseason look to add key rotational minutes throughout the year. 

Derrick White, who notably shaved his hair and “gave up” on his hairline this off-season, is expected to be a key player, adding defensive energy and shot making to the young squad. 

The C’s look really strong this year. Their defensive prowess and offensive capability suggest they may win it all this year. With all of the key acquisitions and new faces, it’ll take some getting used to. The team is sure to make that leap to be victorious. Although Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown struggled last playoffs, they’ll figure it out this year. In basketball, it isn’t only about the stars, and the Celtics have one of the best supporting casts in the league. In June, look to Boston as the team that will hoist the trophy for their first time since the Kevin Garnett era.