Mead’s band community creates a welcoming environment for all students (Commentary)

Much has changed in the past few years, but Mead’s band community remains as welcoming as ever
Marching band practices along the street.

Due to the exaggeration in movies and books, there has been a severe stereotype about band kids and how they’re really nerdy, have acne, wear glasses, and get shoved into lockers by the jocks.

Like all things, there’s a variety of people, so that may be true for some, but the marching band has evolved into something different. Marching bands today are full of all types of people, forming a community with one shared love: music

Band kids have more of a sense of community than in the past because it’s composed of different kinds of people who have a lot more in common than some would think. Instead of mocking others, band kids encourage each other’s differences. Not everyone fits under one title like “band kid,” “jock,” and other labels people consider themselves.

Marching band is not just a class. It has a little world amongst its peers, which is kind of hard to explain, but if the students in the marching band had to put it into words, like Kyanne Johnston (‘24) (drum major) and Michael Reeder (‘24) (drum major), some might call it, “a big family. Even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes.”

Hadley Whitcomb (‘27), who plays in the drumline, described band as exciting and chaotic. Clarinet player Brianna Fehrn (‘27) said, “It’s a little wacky and can be kind of stressful, but in the end, it can be one of the most rewarding things.”

It was more stressful for this year’s seniors when they first started marching band in 2020 because it was during the pandemic, so they didn’t have much of a traditional welcoming experience.

Johnston (‘24) said, “It was kind of funky because of COVID-19, but I am still really good friends with the people I met on the first day.”

Reeder (‘24) said, “They were kind of welcoming. We learned together, struggled together, and it was a really good experience.”

Current freshmen had a different experience. They were able to connect more with their peers without the rocky start.

“For the first time, I felt like ‘this is going to be something that I’m gonna like,’ and I felt like I found a community that I could really be a part of,” said Fehrn (‘27).

“I got excited because they’re all nice, and I’m really glad I joined,” said Whitcomb (‘27).

Overall, the marching band community makes sure that everyone feels welcome to be a part of their big family. They support everyone’s differences whether it’s having other interests like football, cheerleading, and other activities. They support each other no matter what.