DNA evidence advances JonBenét Ramsey murder case

An infamous Boulder cold case undergoes further review with DNA testing
Unsplash—Warren Umoh
DNA evidence has been helpful in solving cases.

This article covers sensitive topics that may be disturbing to some readers. Reader discretion is advised.

In the early hours of Dec. 26, 1996, Patsy Ramsey called 911 to report that her young daughter, JonBenét Ramsey, had gone missing after discovering a ransom note demanding 118,000 dollars for her return. Later that day, Ramsey’s body was discovered in the basement of their home; her cause of death was ruled out as asphyxiation.

The Boulder Police Department found a footprint next to Ramsey’s body, but no signs of forced entry into the home. Once the investigation began, problems arose. Though the cops arrived in seven minutes, the detectives arrived about two hours after the initial call. Only JonBenét’s room was closed off for investigation, leaving the rest of the house to be accessed. Nobody has been arrested or charged with the death. It has remained a cold case ever since.

There have been some updates in the case. In 2010, the case reopened with a focus on DNA evidence. Recently, the Boulder Police Department released a statement about the case, which is now under review by the Colorado Cold Case Review Team. The police department sent it in to acquire new investigation recommendations, and right now, the evidence is being digitized and processed. Even with numerous DNA tests going on, the case still remains unsolved.

JonBenét Ramsey was born on Aug. 6, 1990, in Atlanta, Georgia, to parents Patsy Ramsey and John Bennett Ramsey. Mr. Ramsey was the CEO and president of a computer services company, while Mrs. Ramsey was a former beauty queen, winning Miss West Virginia in 1977. JonBenét was the youngest child with one older brother, Burke Ramsey. They lived a lavish lifestyle, and money was never a concern.

With the development of new information, people are optimistic that, after almost 27 years, there can be justice for Ramsey.