Varsity volleyball takes on state

Mead Volleyball wins first state tournament game in team history.

Opponents shake hands to end the 5 set match.

Girls varsity volleyball team wins their first game in state in Mead High history.

In their first game, they had lost a close match to Berthoud High School. It was over in three sets, but Mead fought hard. Fortunately, CHSAA volleyball playoffs are double elimination so Mead was still in the running.

Their next game was against Cheyenne Mountain where they would take the match impressively in four sets to win the first ever CHSAA volleyball state tournament game in Mead history. It was quite an impressive achievement for the Mavericks. As said by Mary Maher, a sophomore here at Mead, “Our team did great. We won the first State Volleyball game in Mead history which was a really good outcome.”

With the girls going to state, some of the younger volleyball players see this as just the beginning, while for some older volleyball players, this was their last volleyball game as a Mead Maverick. The team is losing two senior varsity players: Abbey Glynn and Hope Borger. They both had a great last season as Mavericks. As Quincey Coyle, a freshman here at mead, states, “The seniors had a large impact on the team. They were constantly supportive through practices and games. They both contributed from point one.”

Other than the new players on the varsity team, there was also a new addition to the coaching staff. Head coach Juliane Mosebar, guided the team during their season and, according to sophomore Hailee Martinez, “We would not be the same without her.” Holding an impressive record of 22-6 this season, it’s easy to say that Mead was quite the threat. The Mavericks were ranked 23rd in state by the end of the season.

As we say goodbye to this season, we see the signs of an even brighter future in Mead volleyball.