Abortion is wrong and became part of American culture through discriminatory roots (Opinion)

There are better solutions to an unwanted pregnancy than abortion

Skylar Whalen

“I brought children into this dark world because it needed the light that only a child can bring.” — Liz Armbruster

Skylar Whalen, Editor-in-Chief

Opinion articles represent the view of the individual writer, not necessarily The Mav student newspaper, MHS, or SVVSD.

Abortion is wrong. Plain and simple. Abortion has always been a discussion in society, but recently, there have been more battles between abortion and letting babies live.

The constitution of the United States of America takes the pleasure in protecting our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Last time I checked, children — infants — are living human beings. The thing is, pro death advocates use of the terms like abortion and fetus to soften the blow, that in fact, they are supporting the murder of babies. 

The main argument on the opposing side is that a baby in this fetus growing stage is not living. With a quick Google search of “how do we know something is living?” the requirements are listed: “they respire, move, respond to stimuli, reproduce and grow, and are dependent on their environment.” Right off the bat the word respire, which means to breathe, should have caught your eye. It is a fact that babies in the fetus growing stage can breathe. When a mother breathes it travels from her lungs into the umbilical cord and into the baby.

A baby in the fetus stage grows and develops. Fetus, as a term in general, is a stage of growth for a baby. According to the Cleveland Clinic, “At the moment of fertilization, your baby’s genetic make-up is complete, including its sex.”  Inside the womb babies can react to the stimuli of sound, and they are dependent on the womb environment around them. 

Biology teacher, Tony Kinnett, explains that “the biggest universally agreed upon unilateral standard for the moment of human life begins is when the 23 chromosomes of the sperm and the 23 chromosomes of the egg, meet and create brand new never before seen DNA. At that moment that DNA, all by itself, will order the cell to multiply and undergo mitosis via stem cells until you have all of your organ systems.” He continues, “You’re human life because you have human DNA that is unique to you or an identical twin.”

Abortion is the murder of human life, which is unprotected by the U.S. constitution and simply wrong.

I agree women should be allowed to make their own choices about their own body. I am a woman after all. But, last time I checked, a human being doesn’t usually have two heart beats, two brains, two stomachs, four eyes, four ears —you get the point. This baby is not your body. It is its own person. Therefore it is not your choice.

In American culture, adults often talk about Planned Parenthood, whether in negative or positive lights. What most people don’t know or realize is the original purpose of the organization. 

The founder of Planned Parenthood is racist founder and eugenics advocate, Margaret Sanger. Eugenics is “the practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the population’s genetic composition”.

Sanger acknowledges that she spoke to the Ku Klux Klan in her autobiography. She also advocated for the Buck v. Bell Supreme Court decision in 1927. This decision allowed states to sterilize people deemed “unfit” without their knowledge or consent.

Sanger said in The Pivot of Civilization (1922) “We are paying for, and even submitting to, the dictates of an ever-increasing, unceasingly spawning class of human beings who never should have been born at all.”

In a longer statement from “Birth Control and Racial Betterment” in 1911, Sanger said, “Before eugenists and others who are laboring for racial betterment can succeed, they must first clear the way for birth control. Like the advocates of birth control, the eugenists, for instance, are seeking to assist the race toward the elimination of the unfit. Both are seeking a single end but they lay emphasis upon different methods.”

In her own words, the founder of Planned Parenthood said that her goal was to eliminate the “unfit” for “racial betterment”. This is absolutely sick to me. Margaret Sanger helped to establish abortion in America in order to kill off the Black population.

In a policy report by Center for Urban Renewal and Education, a study was conducted on the effects of abortion on the Black community. The study found that, “At every income level, [B]ack women have higher abortion rates than Whites or Hispanics, except for women below the poverty line, where Hispanic women have slightly higher rates than [B]lack women.” 

Later in the study, the research team pointed to this impact as a result of  “79% of Planned Parenthood’s surgical abortion facilities [being] strategically located within walking distance of African and/or Hispanic communities”.

Sanger’s hidden agenda has been happening just how she wanted it to. Minorities are being eliminated through abortion.

In order to truly address this problem of killing babies, we need to come up with a solution. There needs to be help and aid put in place for parents who are in this situation. Unexpected things can happen, and women shouldn’t feel like they are in a place to kill their own children. 

If the mother is not ready or able to be a caring mother for her baby, there are many who would gladly be the parents of that baby. It is estimated that 15% of couples will have trouble conceiving, and that globally, 48.5 million couples will experience infertility.  

We need to provide good quality child care for these children born from un-ready parents so that they can have a family that can take care of them. 

America needs to take care of its children and improve the foster care system.

Generally, Americans that want to end abortion don’t want to use their money to fund organizations for this purpose. If we are truly going to fight for something as important as the lives of children, we need to give and take. Children’s lives are more important than money.

We need to protect those who can’t protect themselves. Quit killing babies. End abortion. Plain and simple.