Frances Hudson creates updated track and XC record board

The record banner hasn’t been updated since 2019, and in response, athlete Frances Hudson created her own to display

Angel Villalobos-Rivera

Frances Hudson (‘23) displays the poster she made.

Arizona Lee, Editor-in-Chief

In honor of accomplishments made by the Mead cross country and track teams, Frances Hudson (‘23) created a poster displaying all of the records held by MHS athletes. These records have not been updated on the banner near the main gym since 2019 for the boys and 2016 for the girls.

On the banner, records span from the year 2014 to 2017.

Last school year, Marlee Morris (‘23) broke records for discus and shot put.

She and others communicated with administration. According to Morris (‘23), they promised they would do what they could to update records on the main banner.

“Everybody just made such huge accomplishments,” said Morris (‘23). The displaying of the records and recognition of the team’s accomplishments is important to many athletes, and it has been difficult for some seniors not seeing their records displayed.

Abbey Glynn graduated from MHS in 2019 without seeing her updated records displayed. She held nine records when she graduated and continues to hold eight of those today.

“Last year we went through a [track and cross country] head coaching change,” said Principal Dr. Brian Young. Coaches and administration then began the process of reaching out to get the updated record information. Last summer, the banner and blocks weren’t updated.

Hudson (‘23) and others took it upon themselves, gathering and organizing records made and broken by fellow athletes, creating a poster, and displaying it near the main gym and F-wing.

The next day the poster disappeared.

Hudson (‘23) initially reached out about the inaccurate banner in October of 2021. When she asked about it, she stated that she was given multiple different promises about when both the engraved blocks and banners would be updated.

“I figured we should just put something up there … for the people who are seniors this year and have records,” Hudson (‘23) said.

The board contains cross country as well as track and field records. (Angel Villalobos-Rivera)

She said there were Mead runners that she looked up to coming in freshman year.

These alumni “had records … that never really got up onto the big record board.” Hudson (‘23) also said she used to “go watch Abbey Glynn run when [she] was in middle school”.

Glynn now attends Colorado University. She was able to work alongside Hudson (‘23) to gather and organize accurate records. Glynn said that her goal is to support Hudson (‘23) throughout this process.

As of now, the orders have officially been placed on the banner and blocks.

Dr. Young also shared that the athletic records aren’t the only outdated recognitions being updated — the SAT scores and student highlights in the front display cases are also being redone. In the future, he said they will have digital recognition “awards” on the TV by the main gym.