Tara Yummy has become the internet’s ‘cool older sister’

“The Tara Yummy mindset” inspires women to be unapologetically themselves
Payton Grasser
Tara Yummy is a 23-year-old social media star

Tara Thomson, more commonly known as Tara Yummy, has been active on YouTube since April 2019. Since then, she has amassed over 800,000 subscribers on YouTube and a staggering 4.2 million followers on TikTok, begging the question: Why has she gained so much popularity recently?

Tara’s personality gives off a “cool older sister” sort of vibe. She radiates confidence and preaches being unapologetically yourself, regardless of what anyone, more specifically men, thinks. Though this message is not at all new, it is particularly strong coming from someone like Tara.

The “Tara Yummy mindset” seems like a no-brainer, because she is what every girl wishes to be yet at the same time craves to be friends with. Tara’s persona isn’t something she puts on for her videos; she prides herself on being the same person off-camera as she is in the public eye. Her friends have confirmed this, providing a sense of relatability to her videos, which elicit this growing popularity.

Her content on YouTube ranges anywhere from funny challenges and collaborations with other influencers to “girl talk” sit-down style videos. She posts consistently and has guest-starred on a few podcasts, where she shares details about her life and mentality. This vulnerability creates a sense of friendship with her audience, or, in other words, a “sisterly bond” that can only be admired.

Tara Yummy’s growing popularity on social media can be massively attributed to her “girls-girl” style content, and that reasoning alone is completely justified. She inspires women to speak, think, and act confidently to get what they deserve in life.