Where are they going?: Kannon Garcia

Welcome to The Mav’s Senior Tradition where we highlight our current seniors and discuss where they are headed.
Shannon Buffington
Kannon loves to play a variety of sports.

Kannon Garcia (‘24) has had a wonderful high school career.

Kannon plans on attending Aims Community College for two years and continuing his education at University of Northern Colorado for elementary education. He intends to study elementary education and becoming a second-grade teacher.

The decision to pursue this career was sparked in Kannon’s junior year English class by his teacher, Ms. Hedlun.

Kannon said, “[in] English 11, I found my passion… I don’t read; I write. When I tell people English is my favorite subject, [it’s always] ‘Oh, you like to read?’ I tell them, ‘No, I like to write.’”

Though academics have always been a present factor in Kannon’s life, athletics have played a huge role in Kannon’s success. Kannon has played a total of four sports during high school, including golf, baseball, football, and wrestling.

Kannon played baseball and football in his sophomore year and has continued golf and wrestling through the remaining years.

“Golf is just like a lifetime hobby,” Kannon said.

As for wrestling, Kannon has been playing since he was about four years old. Through this, he has grown considerably in his friendships and relationships in life.

Kannon said, “Wrestling has taught me a lot of self-reflection.”

Kannon has had relatively the same friend group since freshman year; he said, “It’s been a roller coaster.”

However, Kannon has always had an uplifting presence and made the best of any situation with a great mindset.

“I’m going wherever the world takes me,” he said.

We wish Kannon the best of luck after high school!