Denver struggling to accommodate influx of migrants

Denver is reaching crisis status due to the amount of migrants flooding city
Unsplash—Acton Crawford
The Denver capital building glistens on capital hill.

Nearly 40,000 migrants have flooded the sanctuary city of Denver over the past year, making Denver one of the top destinations for migrants crossing the U.S. border.

Denver’s current population is about 710,000 residents, meaning that the population has increased by over 5 percent in less than a year.

The large arrival of migrants has taken a toll on the city’s safety, public education, and healthcare. Many migrants are facing safety and health concerns of their own.

There has been an increase in concern for public safety in the community.

At many intersections, drivers will see migrants washing car windows to try to make money. Some migrants wait months or years for work permits, causing them to work jobs that are not necessarily safe or provide the money they need.

If one of these migrant workers were to get a ticket for aggressive panhandling or soliciting from the roadway, they would not be allowed the asylum or legal migration status they seek.

In a statement from the Denver Police Department, window washing is “potentially dangerous,” as it puts the person at a high risk of getting tickets or even getting injured.

The public education system in Denver is also struggling with an increase of nearly 3,000 immigrant children in DPS schools. At one Denver school, they receive about 10 new students a week, similar to the number they used to receive in one year, according to a recent report from NBC News.

Adrienne Enders, who oversees multilingual education for Denver Public Schools, explained that schools receive their funding based on population in October, so paying for these increasing numbers of migrant students has been a challenge.

Enders said, “Over 600 of the students come to Denver with little to no schooling, so they spend time in a specialized classroom to get accustomed.”

The healthcare system in Denver has also taken a large hit. Hospitals are being overrun and accumulating more debt than can be paid.

Denver Health has provided more than 10 million dollars in medical bills for migrants. From October through November last year, 10 percent of emergency room visits were migrants.

Chief of government and community affairs for Denver Health, Dr. Steve Federico, said, “We saw 20,000 visits last year that we attributed to the migrant population. That’s a lot of care that we weren’t planning on giving.”

Denver is reaching its breaking point as it is overrun with migrants and does not have enough resources to accommodate this crisis.

View Comments (1)