Varsity Football crushes cross-town rival Frederick 30-8 in 9News Game of the Week and secures a home playoff game

Mead handed Frederick their second loss of the season at the Warriors’ home closing game

Aiden Owen, Photography Editor

Note from the writer/editor: Those that attended the game saw Frederick kick a last-second field goal, making the score 30-11. This field goal was not counted. CHSAA, 9News, and MaxPreps all report the final score as being 30-8.

Varsity Football beat the Frederick High Warriors 30-8 Friday night, securing the conference championship title and guaranteeing a home playoff game in the process.

The game was predicted to be a close one, with Frederick entering at rank #8 and Mead entering at rank #7, but the Mavs would emerge victorious at the end of the night.

Aiden Owen
Devon Edwards, junior (#20), and Jacob Bartholomew, junior (#49), celebrate a huge sack by Bartholomew. This sack would put Frederick in a 3rd and long situation, forcing them to throw. That throw would be picked off by Trey Ward, junior (#5).

“It might have been one of our best games all year,” said sophomore Brayden Keys (#3). Sophomore Nathan Bailey (#26) agreed, adding, “Defense… mmmm… so good!”

The Mavericks had an excellent start, scoring twice in the first quarter while keeping control of the play to ensure Frederick was unable to put any points on the board.

Aiden Owen
The Mavericks force Fredrick’s ball carrier down behind the line on a 4th down conversion attempt. This gave Mead the ball on their 43. The Mavs would take that ball all the way home for their first touchdown.

Mead kept up the momentum throughout the game, keeping the Warriors on the ropes, forcing another two touchdowns and a field goal.

“We went into practice and we knew it was gonna be a hard game,” said junior Trey Ward (#5), “so we practiced our butts off all week long.”

Aiden Owen
Trey Ward, junior (#5), gets his second interception of the night. Unfortunately, the Mavs would be unable to capitalize on this, as they threw an interception on the next drive.

The Mavericks will be facing Evergreen High School at Mead on Saturday, November 10 at 1:00 pm as part of the CHSAA 3A State Football Playoffs.