Mead’s playoff game vs. Durango is set to be a fun matchup

The Mavs look to rebound from a tough loss earlier in the season in their first playoff game against Durango
Braeden Corliss
Mavs wrap up Durango player.

Following a hard-fought win against Riverdale Ridge, the Mavs are set to face the Demons from Durango in their first round matchup. Despite being the 13th seed, Mead is hoping to upset the 4th ranked Durango squad. 

In their matchup earlier this year, the Mavs fell 30-16. However, players feel like it was closer than the score says, as they allowed a late touchdown to propel it to a two score game. In the game, Christian Hiner (‘25) threw the ball 41 times, totaling 259 yards and a touchdown. Despite the success through the air, the Mavs offense has moved away from the pass-heavy offense, transitioning into a strong running attack. 

Ethan Elmore (‘27) has shifted into playing quarterback for the Mavs, starting against Riverdale and running 28 times for 109 yards. He added 30 yards on 5 attempts through the air as well. He filled a huge hole on offense, as Christian Hiner (‘25) didn’t play. 

Running backs Edison Burke (‘25), Ryan St. Aubin (‘26), and Cole Michaelis (‘24) have powered this offensive change quite well. Michaelis (‘24) is averaging 46 yards a game, but it is notable that his carries have gradually gone up over the course of the season. Burke (‘25) has averaged 12.4 yards per game. Ryan St. Aubin (‘26) has averaged 15.7 yards a game thus far. 

St. Aubin (‘26) and Burke (‘25) have been big through the air as well, with Burke adding 32 yards a game and St. Aubin (‘26) adding 26 yards a game. They have both scored a touchdown as well. Other receiving threats include Ethan Scallon (‘24), who is averaging 29.4 yards per game, while also adding 3 touchdowns. Ty Olson (‘24) has been an important piece as well, with 27.6 yards a game and has 2 touchdowns on the season. 

While the skill positions have been great for this offense, the team has struggled to punch the ball in. Averaging just 15.9 points a game, they have had to rely on the stingy defense. The defense has really come into its own the past few weeks, holding a top Riverdale offense to a measly three points and Niwot to just a field goal as well.

Key players on defense include Joshua Gonzavez (‘26), who is averaging 9.7 tackles a game and leads the defense in the middle linebacker position. Carter Woods (‘26) has been huge for this defense as well, averaging 6.9 tackles per game to that young linebacker core. 

Turnovers have been an important part of this defense as well, as J.D. Hamilton (‘25) leads the team with two interceptions. Eddy Stephenson (‘24), Cale Hansen (‘25), Joshua Gonzalves (‘26), Cody McDonald (‘24), and Angel Johnson (‘24), all have interceptions as well. 

The defensive line has also been a big contributor to the success of the defense, with Griffin Kratchovil (‘26) has 5.5 sacks , Niko Valdez (‘24) has 4.5 , and Carter Woods (‘26) has 4.0.

For this upcoming game, getting to the quarterback will be a key component in securing a victory as Durango’s offense is playing quite well. 

While the Mavs were given a tough first round matchup, they will look to their defense to keep them in the game. Still, the offense to keep pace with the Demons so the Mavs can complete the upset. The Mavs are ready to bounce back from their tough loss earlier in the season against Durango, and the stats back it up.