Students make AFC Division predictions for this season’s NFL playoffs

Braeden and Lars, avid football fans, make predictions for the 2023-24 AFC division playoffs
Skylar Whalen

With the AFC playoff bracket revealed, interesting matchups could result in major upsets. Teams like the Ravens have well-rounded rosters with immense talent on both offense and defense, whereas teams like the Browns and Chiefs have great defenses but have struggled offensively.

Here are some predictions for the 2023-24 postseason bracket.

Starting on the AFC side, the Baltimore Ravens earned the first seed and have received a first-round bye for their regular season efforts. The team finished 13-4, exceeding expectations from fans all over the country.

In the second versus seventh seed matchup, the Bills earned the second seed the AFC East champions with an 11-6 record, and the Steelers earned the seventh seed with a 10-7 regular season.

Braeden’s prediction:

While the Steelers have always seemed to have a tough defense, the loss of T.J. Watt is a huge blow. Their offense will weigh them down in this game as well. Their quarterback struggles and injuries tell you everything you need to know about this game. Kenny Pickett hasn’t played well at all this season, and he’s been injured as of late. Mitchell Trubisky hasn’t been a worthy replacement, and third-string Mason Rudolph has been below average, as well. While Bills quarterback Josh Allen has had turnover issues, the talent is still there. His ability to evade tacklers and even run defenders over on designed runs has propelled him to the number two spot for rushing touchdowns. Also worth mentioning is his insane arm talent. Allen has been known to heave balls 80 yards, and he will show this ability against the Steelers’ defense. The Bills will win this one easily.

Lars’s prediction:

The Steelers have been fairly hot recently. Ending with three straight wins going into the playoffs; the Steelers are a worthy opponent facing the Bills going into the first round of the playoffs. The Bills, upon firing their former offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, have also been on a hot streak. This game will likely be close between the two teams, who are both incredibly talented, but the Bills will likely come out victorious. The Steelers’ defensive weapon T.J. Watt, however, is injured going into this matchup with this tough team. The Bills have an incredibly talented team spearheaded by quarterback, Josh Allen. Allen can break and take tackles like a running back and throw bombs to his receivers on top of it. Allen’s talent will likely carry the Bills through this game, ending with the Bills dominating over the Steelers.

In the third versus sixth seed matchup, the AFC West champion Chiefs earned the 3rd seed with an 11-6 record and the Dolphins earned the sixth seed with an 11-6 record following the regular season.

Braeden’s prediction:

From a lack of receiving weapons that can consistently catch the ball, which has caused Mahomes to throw interceptions, the Chiefs’ offense has struggled. A few bright spots have emerged, however. Rashee Rice, a rookie receiver out of SMU, has been excellent as of late. Against the Bengals, he hauled in five catches for 127 yards, bringing his season tallie to 938 yards. Isaiah Pacheco is always a force for that offense with his tough running abilities. Their defense has played well this season, as they are ranked second in yards allowed per game. Flipping to Miami, their receivers have been excellent this season. Tyreek Hill has been on a terror streak, racking up 1799 yards in the regular season with his insane speed. Jaylen Waddle has struggled with injuries but still managed to eclipse the 1000-yard mark for the season. The Dolphins’ pass rush and back end of the defense have played quite well, adding to their roster’s overall prowess. Off-season addition Jaylen Ramsey missed time with an injury but is looking like his old self again. This game is going to come down to who can weather the cold better, and the Dolphins rarely play in temperatures this low. The forecast is looking like it’ll eclipse the negatives at game time, along with the snow. Normally on winter days, factors like the cold wouldn’t be as impactful, but this will be too much for the Floridian squad. It’ll be a close matchup, but the Chiefs should come out on top.

Lars’s prediction:

The Dolphins are 0-10 in games they’ve played where the temperature is under 40 degrees. Arrowhead boasts a very chilly negative five degrees. This looks like a good start to the weekend for Chiefs fans. However, the Chiefs have just one reliable receiver (Rashee Rice), and Miami is sure to change their game plan to cover Rice better. But, the Chiefs have running back Isiah Pacheco who will likely draw away attention from Rice. Pacheco has had a monstrous second year. Being picked in the 7th round of the 2022 draft, Pacheco has proven his worth over former starter Clyde Edwards Helaire. “Pop,” Isaiah Pacheco’s nickname, has 935 yards from this past season and 7 touchdowns (which is impressive considering injuries throughout the season, and his lack of touches in the first half of the season). The Dolphins, however, are a powerhouse team that has several weapons on offense and defense. Although the Dolphins have been widely successful on offense, the Chiefs have a lethal secondary consisting most notably of Trent McDuffie, and L’Jarius Sneed. Sneed had a perfect season this year. He allowed a whopping zero touchdowns to wide receivers this season and has played against some of the NFL’s most elite receivers–Justin Jefferson, Tyreek Hill, and Ja’Marr Chase. It’s likely that this game will be very close, and will ultimately come down to who can resist the insane temperatures of this game. Since Miami doesn’t get much colder than 30 degrees on average, the Chiefs are likely going to secure this victory in a hard-fought bout.

In the fourth and fifth seed matchup, the Houston Texans earned the fourth seed with a 10-7 record and the Browns earned the fifth seed with an 11-6 record.

Braeden’s prediction:

With Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud being the offensive rookie of the year, the Texans struck gold with him in the draft. Also on offense, Nico Collins has stepped up big this year, hauling in 1297 yards and 8 touchdowns. Defensively, the Texans have played quite well. Young stars Derek Stingley Jr. and Jonathan Greenard have been exceptional. However, an old man up north looks to end the Texans’ run early. Joe Flacco (at 38 years old) was signed after various quarterback injuries and since his signing, he has been arguably the best quarterback in the league. Amari Cooper has been Flacco’s favorite target, who also earned a Pro Bowl spot. The Browns’ suffocating defense is led by Myles Garrett who has racked up 14 sacks to add to his excellent career. In this game, expect the Browns to win-handedly. Quarterback experience is an important facet to playoff success, and Joe Flacco is no rookie when it comes to that, as he won a Super Bowl in 2012.

Lars’s prediction:

The Texans and Browns have a fairly even matchup going into Wildcard Weekend. On one side, the Texans have an insanely talented rookie quarterback, C.J. Stroud. On the other, the Browns have an experienced veteran quarterback, Joe Flacco. Usually, concerning NFL playoffs, experience takes the cake. However, C.J. Stroud has proven himself as a weapon time and time again. Stroud had 4,108 yards at the end of this season and took offensive rookie of the year with ease. Because of the Texans’ tremendous abilities on the field, the Texans can upset the Browns in the first round of the playoffs.
Regardless of what happens this post-season, it’s sure to be filled with a series of fantastic games. This season’s playoff run will bring in heart-breakers, exciting upsets, and sublime victories.