Student editors revolutionize journalism at Mead High School

How students took control and created their positions and responsibilities

Ulyana Pyrlik

2018-2019 Mav Newspaper editors

Student journalism is slowly growing in Mead High School. Our journalism program is in its infancy and still has a lot of growing and evolving to do. The Mav is always changing, and the editors are constantly working to improve the website as well as our first print edition.

Each editor is in a unique position because they shape their position and will shape it for the people who then in turn take over when they leave.

Alex Olson, the Managing Editor, comments on his role and how it differs from what his role should entail saying, “Well, despite being called Managing Editor, my position is quite different from what a Managing Editor position is supposed to be. I’m supposed to ‘oversee all aspects of the publication’ and ‘report to the Editor in Chief’. Instead, I do finances.”

And this seems to be a common theme of the Editorial Board: to create and shape their positions from scratch or continuously improve upon their responsibilities.

Aiden Owen, the Photography Editor, completely created his position and shaped his role for this paper. “I was very involved in creating my position. Last year we didn’t have a Photography Editor, and it showed. I stepped up halfway through last year and started taking photos for other people’s stories.”

Ryan Yancey, the Broadcasting Editor, completely created his position and had to say, “When I was a freshmen, there was no broadcast. Last year, Mr.Parson’s film studies class started the Mead Morning News, and that was an improvement, but it wasn’t much more than video announcements. This year, we got Mav TV, and I hope it’s much more than that. I hope, in the future, we can grow just as much. I really don’t think we are that far off from being one of the best student broadcasts in the state if we can keep going at this rate.”

The Mav is still growing, and the Editorial Board has a lot to say about our growth and how we can continuously be changing for the better.

Kassidy Trembath, the Editor in Chief, is very vocal about the changes that we should make to further improve The Mav. Trembath suggested splitting journalism into two separate classes saying, “In the first class, students would take would be Intro to Journalism. This class would teach students how to interview, write articles, and other journalistic skills. Once a student has taken that class, they would then take a Publications class. The Publications class would be where the students would write for The Mav. This would allow students to be more prepared to write for the newspaper.”

Anna Hergert, a Section Editor, also commented on what could be improved. “Oftentimes I feel like we are working against each other rather than with each other.“ Hergert feels that communication is something to be addressed within the Editorial board as well as between reporters and editors.

Shelby Lewis, the Copy and Design Editor, makes the paper run smoothly and for all the articles as well as the website look its best. “To establish what the position would look like and how it would run. I was given my job description at the beginning and practically told to ‘knock myself out’ as I made it a reality. I’m very lucky to do what I do, and I love this position,” says Lewis.

The Editorial Board is and will forever be changing and growing to accommodate the changes going on in journalism. The Editorial Board is the heart of the paper and is what makes us run. We very much differ from other papers in how we run and our policies in doing so.