Make-A-Wish spirit week starts Tuesday, Jan. 18

MHS is holding a spirit week to aid in Isaac Crane’s Make-A-Wish

Kaylyn Cartellone

“Make-A-Wish traces its inspiration to Christopher James Greicius, an energetic 7-year-old boy battling leukemia who wishes to be a police officer.”

This is the fourth year that Mead High School has held a Make-A-Wish spirit week. Make-A-Wish is an American nonprofit organization that grants one wish to a child with a critical illness. For over 40 years, it has “been granting life-changing wishes for children and families” according to the Make-A-Wish website.

This year the spirit week is in honor of Isaac Crane, a seven year old from Mead Elementary School. Isaac was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, also known as SMA. SMA is a rare genetic disorder that affects the gene that signals the body to make proteins into muscle. 

The spirit week is inspired by some of the things that Isaac loves. On Tuesday, Jan. 18, when students come back to school, the theme is Disney day. Isaac enjoys playing Disney video games and watching Disney movies. His Make-A-Wish is to go to Walt Disney World in Florida. 

Wednesday, Jan. 19, is the day that we will sport Isacc’s favorite colors: orange and yellow. 

On Thursday, Jan. 20, students can take part in Safari day. Isaac’s favorite animal is a Lion. 

Friday, Jan. 21, is the day of the assembly and the spirit day when students can wear their new Make-A-Wish shirts. These shirts will be sold in the office starting on Tuesday.

There will be different opportunities to donate to the cause both in the front office and at the multiple sporting events that week.

On Tuesday, there will be 6 Pack Basketball. Wednesday hosts both Unified Basketball (at 3:30 p.m.) and a Boys Wrestling meet. On Thursday, there will be a Girls Wrestling meet. Friday hosts another 6 Pack Basketball game.

Be there to support Isaac!