Classical music is beneficial for students

Classical music affects parts of the brain that are essential for students’ success

Aspen Bingham

“Life without playing music is inconceivable for me.” —Albert Einstein

Studying can cause unnecessary stress and anxiety for students. According to Campus Technology, around 71% of students are having trouble staying focused on their schoolwork. Finding the right tricks to study is essential for success.

Some students find music, specifically classical music, helpful for studying. Music provides many benefits that may be extremely beneficial for students. 

Classical music can improve mood. Music specifically creates a calming sensation due to the release of dopamine that occurs. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that acts as a chemical messenger in between nerve cells and results in feelings of well being. 

Classical music is also known to increase motivation. In a research study from PNAS, it’s suggested that music can act as a reward system for the brain. Rewarding oneself with music can provide the motivation needed for learning new information. 

Classical music can also boost concentration. A Stanford study found that music helps the brain pay attention. They also found that music engages the brain in areas, like the hippocampusthat contribute to paying attention and are influential in processing information. 

Although there is always the chance for distractions, classical music can contribute to students’ academic success.