Teacher Feature: Ms. Lammey

Students agree Ms. Lammey is a fantastic teacher — here are some fun facts about her life

Angel Villalobos-Rivera

Mrs. Lammey shares that doesn’t go through drive thru car washes because she fears getting stuck. 

Ms. Jennifer Lammey is a photography, ceramics, and animation teacher at Mead High; she also advises the yearbook The Stampede. She has been teaching for three years. 

Lammey was born in Dayton, Ohio in 1977. She first attended college at the University of Texas at San Antonio, but did not complete her education there. She transferred to a couple different schools throughout her college career. Lammey moved to Oklahoma and attended the University of Oklahoma in 1997, then graduated from Colorado State University in 2020.

In the middle of this, Lammey was in the Navy from 2001-2006.

“I was an aircraft electrician,” she said, where she was “in charge of repairing the equipment and all the wires that go to that equipment.”

While she enjoyed her time in the Navy traveling around the country and meeting new people, she is glad that she now has control over where she lives and that she does not have to worry about deployment.

In the early 2000’s, Lammey stayed home with her children both in Oklahoma and Colorado. She then moved to Ft Collins in 2010. In 2018, when Lammey was halfway through her graphic design degree, she had a change of heart and decided she wanted to become a teacher.

“I had gone to my daughter’s sixth grade orientation and mentioned how I had a lot of fun walking around and talking to the students and how teachers are lucky because they have the best job in the world. My husband said you love art and kids, so why not become an art teacher? I agreed and changed my major to art education the next day,” she said. 

Moving was challenging for Lammey because she sometimes struggled with fitting in only to realize that wasn’t usually a problem.

She said, “I didn’t mind moving, it was always the fear of being judged, which I soon realized no one was.” 

Lammey’s favorite classes during high school were art and English. She continued taking art classes throughout college.

While she is a successful teacher and Navy veteran, Lammey is most proud of her family.

She said, “I have some pretty amazing kids; I would say that’s a pretty big accomplishment.” 

Altogether, Lammey is an amazing teacher and a great mom to her kids. She enjoys hikes and watching horror movies.

Lammey has made a great impact in the short amount of time teaching at Mead High and is well respected throughout the school community. 

Students agree that Lammey is an amazing teacher and well loved by the individuals at Mead High.

“She is a personable teacher who wants to get to know each and every student. She tries to hold connections with previous students and relates with them through their hobbies,” said Kevin Allen (’23).

While most of his time was spent in Lammey’s online class during online learning in 2020-2021, Ryan Dallas (’23) said he enjoyed her class and learned a lot because of the effort she put in.

James Zamudio (’24), a current Advanced Photography student, said, “In advanced, we’ve been all over: we started back at the beginning, but now we’re doing photo manipulation, working on portraits, and more. Ms. Lammey is also learning while she goes, so we are all learning together. I like learning with her.”

*Previous versions of this article said Lammey teaches ceramics; she actually teaches animation.