Bond between Mead’s hockey players on the RCS Cougars team is unmatched

While hockey is not an official Mead High sport, six Mead students play for the RSC hockey team in Loveland

Josh Halsey

Bryson Carter (’24) skates the puck up the ice during a game in November.

High school sports are regularly recognized and honored by staff and students, but there are a few sports that tend to fall under the radar.

Resurrection Christian High School’s (RSC) hockey team “The Cougars” is made up of six Mead High School student athletes.

The team practices on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays at the Budweiser event center. The team plays one to two games on Fridays or Saturdays.

Since Mead does not have its own hockey team within the school, many students may not know what goes into the sport and what playing for another school feels like.

Sportsmanship and working together are important aspects of making the team work.

Mead athletes agree that playing hockey has helped them really connect with one another.

Colter Greig (’23) said, “All of us treat each other with so much respect; sometimes we’ll stay two hours after practice just to hang out and talk to each other.”

He said that players “compete for each other” and for the team, not for themselves.

After speaking with a couple of the athletes, varsity and junior varsity (JV) player Lucas Witko (‘24) said, “Our team feels more like a family where we are all super close and share a passion for hockey.”

Most of these players have been on the RCS hockey team for a couple of years creating an unbreakable bond. Witko (’24) described the group as “more of a brotherhood than teammates”.

Hockey is more than just teamwork. For many, it’s been a deep part of their lives since they were kids. Bryson Carter (’24), a varsity and JV player for the team, has been playing hockey since he was four. 

Carter (’24) said hockey brings him joy because it gives him a bond with his teammates that he doesn’t share with other people. Greig (’23) agreed with this — he’s been playing this sport for a long time, and he even played for the Junior Eagles as a kid.

All othese players have come together and formed an impressive team.

To learn more about the team and when they play click here