Teacher Feature: Mr. Duncan

Mead High invites a new English teacher
Jacob Morales
Mead High runs on Duncan.

Mr. Duncan is one of Mead High’s newest English teachers. 

He grew up in Columbus, Ohio, but he has lived in Longmont for most of his life. He went to Wright State University for his undergraduate degree and received his masters at Colorado State University 

When asked about how he got into teaching, Duncan said, “I kind of knew when I first started college that I wanted to do something with English and teaching — I didn’t really know what yet… When I got involved in the teaching program at CSU, I got to go to elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools, and I figured out high school is kind of the way to go”.

Since starting, he’s found that he enjoys teaching freshmen the most.

“They’re kind of just getting used to high school. To get to be the first experience they have in high school is kind of cool,” said Duncan. 

Duncan is known for his upbeat personality and teaching style, as well as his guitar skills and heavy metal band, Fell Harvest

“We’ve been playing concerts for a few years now, and we’ve recorded a couple albums. We just released one in May,” he said. 

When asked about his favorite part of teaching, he gave what he jokingly called a “lame teacher answer.”

“I think it’s getting to connect with all the different kids. Like whether they really love English class or not, being able to work with kids and figure out what they’re into and find their entry point into the class,” Duncan said. “[It’s] always a pretty fun experience”.

Students are excited to see Duncan get settled in here at Mead High.