Teacher Feature: Ms Sonnenberg

Mead High School appreciates Ms. Sonnenberg and her passion towards teaching
Raul Mares
Ms Sonnenberg spreads her kindness to each student.

Ms. Cassie Sonnenberg has been a teacher for 17 years. Currently, she teaches AP Seminar, AP Research, and English 11.

While growing up in her hometown of Oakwood, Colorado, Sonnenberg felt there was a lack of good teachers and developed the goal to become one to help students.

She enjoys working with a variety of students. She said, “It’s so cool to get to know so many kids and watch them grow and change and become productive members of society.”

Ms. Sonnenberg enjoys working with all of her classes, but she has a particular fondness for AP Research.

In this class, students dedicate an entire year to a research project. She explains it as a class where “everything goes from fuzzy and confusing to the end of the year where [students] create this amazing thing, put in all this work, and get this incredible project that [they] put together.”

Initially, Ms Sonnenberg majored in political science but soon realized she wanted nothing to do with politics, which helped her make the decision to move into teaching. She student taught middle school initially, but recognized she much preferred high school.

She began teaching at Wiggins High School but moved to be closer to the front range area. When Ms Sonnenberg began teaching at Mead High School, she discovered she enjoyed it here a lot.

“I like the community,” she said. “People are really supportive and kind for the most part, and it still has a small town feel.”

When asked what she liked most about teaching, she added, “I [like] getting to know new groups of students every year and seeing who they are and what they’re doing.”

View Comments (1)