Teacher feature: Mr. Fox

Mead’s has a new student teacher in the Social Studies department
Payton Grasser
Mr. Fox student teaches with Mrs. Harris in room D115.

The first day of the second semester introduced a new student teacher, Joseph Fox, to the Mead High community. This is his first year at Mead, as well as his first time student teaching with a class of his own. He teaches US history and government but hopes to teach world history in the future.

Mr. Fox is 27 years old and is a strong advocate for exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. He enjoys anything outdoors, including but not limited to hiking, whitewater rafting, and kayaking. He is the middle child between two sisters and a part of a family whom he speaks highly of.

“[My mother is] an example of how it’s never too late to pursue your dreams,” he said.

Outside of school, he loves to read, noting that his favorite books are Dune and Dominion.

“If I don’t have anything to do, so no school and no work, I can read two books a week,” he said.

Born and raised in Colorado, Mr. Fox attended Crossroads Christian High School, where he excelled in basketball but “didn’t take school that seriously.”

“I knew I was going to be in the Army really early, and that sort of hurt my academic focus,” Mr. Fox said.

Mr. Fox spent four and a half years on active duty, beginning in 2014. In the army, he became a fire direction specialist. This involved a lot of math and data computing, which was his best subject in school.

His interest in history began post-service when he decided to attend the Community College of Denver at the suggestion of a close friend. There, he took an ancient history course and fell in love with the material. He decided then and there to switch his degree to history secondary education, and he hasn’t looked back since.

From there, he took his practicum at University MiddleNorth Valley Middle, and Windsor Charter Academy. Though he is grateful for those opportunities, he is excited to be doing what he loves at a high school level here at Mead.

View Comments (1)