Double teacher feature: Hedlun and Duncan’s striking similarities

In many ways these two teachers are able to connect and find comradery
Raul Mares
Duncan and Hedlun show their abundance in similarities

Two fan favorites of the English department and student body, Mr. Liam Duncan and Ms. Jamie Hedlun, have a number of similarities. From the reasoning behind their major, to what their favorite bands were in high school, it’s become ironically apparent how similar Hedlun and Duncan are.

Hedlun and Duncan began their careers in teaching in their early twenties. Each shared insightful information about their high school experiences as two teens who developed a passion for reading and writing early, describing a mutual adoration for their ninth grade English teachers. Both admit that they found a love for teaching and also acknowledged that they struggled in school. “I think something we have in common is that we were not ideal high school students ourselves,” Duncan said.

Hedlun also recalls understanding the effect that strong teacher-student connections have on teenagers, which made bonding with her students much easier. In the same way, Duncan does his best to create a space where students don’t feel judged or inferior to him. “I feel that I can bond a little more because they harbor no illusions of me being some super genius or someone they can’t relate to,” he said.

For him, having a space where young men feel seen and comfortable showing a more intellectual side is important, something that Hedlun can relate to. Hedlun strives for her students to feel seen and heard in her classroom. Many students are proficient and excel in different areas, and she’s found a way to see where her many students show their strengths.

Students have also praised both of the teachers for their calm and easy-going demeanors. Trinity Newton (‘25) said, “Duncan has a pretty chill relationship with most of the students.” Continuing on to share that walking into Hedlun’s class often feels warm and inviting. Hedlun has created a strong, maternal bond with many female students and makes space for everyone in her class to express themselves and their talents in different ways, in addition to always having a snack for any hungry student.

Along with the comparison to how they discovered their love for teaching, Hedlun and Duncan have strikingly similar tastes in music. Both admittedly come from punk rock and older, more matured emo origins such as Something Corporate, Thursday, and Brand New.

Both teachers mutually find solace in going on hikes and keeping up with their spouses. Going on dates and enjoying marriage is something each of them value outside of school, as well as diving into a couple new books whenever they find the time.

Ultimately, the friendship between the two is ideal — they can enjoy each other’s company and common interests and also show support for their students and one another.